Tuesday, December 14, 2010

THERE'S MORE TO LIFE THAN A LITTLE BIT OF MONEY, YA KNOW.  DON'CHA KNOW THAT?  Just Born, Inc., maker of Mike & Ikes, Marshmallow Peeps and other candies, made an ultimatum at its 2009 sales meeting: make your 2010 sales goals and enjoy the 2010 convention in Hawaii; don’t make the goals and we’ll gather in Fargo instead.

This week, two dozen Just Born employees gathered in Fargo for their annual convention, and the town is rolling out the red carpet, with an itinerary including a screening of the film, "a visit to the woodchip Marge statue in the fabulous Fargo Theatre, a trip to the Hjemkomst Center in Moorhead for an author reading of the recently released book, How Fargo of You, and a sleigh ride and dinner at Divot’s Golf Course."

Next year's threat: Rapid City, South Dakota.

7 comments:

  1. bill.4:30 AM

    At least you can go gambling in Rapid City. And watching "Fargo" in Fargo? It's been a long time since I last watched it, so I'll guess the movie spends less than 5 minutes in Fargo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. KCosmo's neighbor7:09 AM

    I love it! What a great way to run a company. I'm not a sales rep, but each year our annual sales meetings get lamer and lamer to the point that every other sales meeting is done "virtually" and takes twice as many days.

    Our holiday parties have been downsized to the point of nonexistence, and our vendors barely even send us coal these days (remember those days when offices overflowed with packages from Harry and David).

    Yes, of course, I'm grateful to have a job, blah, blah, blah...but I'd take Fargo. It's an adventure of sorts and sure to be a trip they'll talk about for years to come. And...I'm sure they will work just a little harder this year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Andrew10:29 AM

    It makes me glad to learn that Fargo is home to a woodchip statue of Marge Gunderson.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Marsha10:41 AM

    With treatment like that, they should make Fargo the reward for MAKING your sales goal, not the punishment. I'd have loved that trip.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Marsha10:43 AM

    I need one of those hats. Gonna have to check eBay.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love Fargo, but my grandfather was from Oakes, ND...so I have a fondness for the state.  And I love that Fargo is taking advantage of this situation. 

    ReplyDelete
  7. isaac_spaceman2:36 PM

    If they were really serious about this, they'd pick a dry county somewhere.

    ReplyDelete