Monday, December 27, 2010

"THE WIMPS WHO STOLE CHRISTMAS":  Okay, so the Daily News' Will Bunch isn't happy that last night's football game was cancelled, but as one of the season ticketholders who would have been called upon to find a way to make it to Lincoln Financial Field last night I'm not at all upset with the decision, because I would not have gone.   Normally, I'll drive 10 minutes from the house to park the car for free on the street near the Ellsworth/Federal subway station, and it makes for an easy trip.  But I can't imagine chancing the weather conditions last night, especially for the way back.  The snow/wind/ice combo did not bode well, esp. given the risk of being plowed in.  The game would have looked like fun on tv, but there wouldn't have been more than 20,000 people there, and now I've got a nice Toy Story 3 on Ice/Eagles combo for Tuesday afternoon/evening.

Flash-forward to next Sunday, and the NFL has flexed Seattle-St. Louis for the night game.  Would I have rather seen Chicago-Green Bay?  Yes.  But if the Eagles lose one of these two games that one becomes meaningless for Chicago, and who wants to see Todd Collins and Garrett Wolfe in prime time?  So consider this an NFL investment in the future of Sam Bradford, James Laurinatis and Chris Long instead.  As for the "oh, a 7-9 team shouldn't be playoff-eligible," yeah, probably, but it's so rare as to not be worth changing the rules over.  I'd be happy with playoff seeding based on record alone -- allowing the Ravens to host the Colts instead of vice-versa -- but radical change is not needed.

10 comments:

  1. Carmichael Harold12:02 PM

    I'll leave aside my thoughts on postponing the game (mine are more in line with Will Bunch's, but without the weird undercurrent of machismo), as I didn't have tickets.  


    I'm more irritated that they pushed the game to Tuesday (instead of tonight) for, what I can only imagine, were TV related reasons (ESPN and NBC not wanting to split the audience).  The short week run up to the Cowboys game won't help the Eagles there (Cowboys have a longer than normal week to boot), and it means that they'll have to play three games in 13 days (or maybe 12) including the wild card playoff game.  

    ReplyDelete
  2. gtv200012:04 PM

    My feeling on the whole playoff seeding/sub .500 thing -  You don't like your seeding, maybe you should have won your division.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There is no meteorological or logistics reason why they couldn't play tonight.  Roads will be fine.  It's all about tv.  

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jeff M.12:23 PM

    I have/had tickets to the game; it would be my first ever in the stands (I worked in the stadium for the three years leading to the Super Bowl but never saw a play on the field). Now, the rescheduling is putting me at risk of missing my sister's birthday party and complicating the rescheduling of my parents' 30th anniversary dinner.

    All that said, I'm glad they moved the game because there was no way in heck I was going last night. Now at least I have a choice.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Joseph J. Finn1:58 PM

    Much as I wouldn't have minded my Bears being the Sunday night game (especially since the big family party for my side is on Sunday afternoon), it does make more sense in terms of playoff considerations to have the Seattle game in primetime, I think.  (Also, I wish I could have seen yesterday's Bears-Jets game but we were still driving back from Columbus.)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Benner4:37 PM

    Birds can still get the second seed, meaning a week off, but they'll need Green Bay to beat Chicago, and they'll have to win two games on short rest (these are two very bad teams they're playing, however).  

    Another flex possibility is Saints-Bucs, if Atlanta wins tonight.  I caught some of the Tampa game on redzone, and they're an exciting team, and even if they are eliminated, I think they'll still give a good game.  They can get in with a win in the last game with help, and I think the Giants will lose to the Redskins next week, but the Packers will win.  This would be very good for a banged-up and soon to be tired Birds squad.  

    Record-based seeding would especially have helped the Iggles if they get the third seed -- who'd you rather play at home, the NFC West Champion or one of Packers/Bucs/Giants?  

    ReplyDelete
  7. littleredyarn7:19 PM

    We live right over the Walt Whitman bridge, and about 10 last night, the snow and the wind really kicked in. I can't imagine the nightmare the city of Philly might have experienced if the game let out around 11 or so, especially if the BSL or SEPTA wasn't ready for it. 

    ReplyDelete
  8. FYI, in relation to tthe TS3 on Ice part of this post:

    1)  Be forewarned that the first act is mostly a highlight reel of TS1 and TS2, rather than being the TS3 story.  If your child is as anal as my 5-year old, this will be the source of an hour's worth of indignant comments.

    2)  They sell somewhat disturbing sno-cones that you can eat out of Jessie's head.  BRAAAAAAAIIIINNNS!!!

    3) There is nothing better than Ken on ice.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just promise me I'll get my share of Lotso.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Some Lotso, but not enough.  The larger characters are harder to maneuver on ice, I suspect, and are therefore minimized.

    ReplyDelete