Tuesday, April 19, 2011

TRACKER JACKER WATCH: Somewhat surprisingly, Deadline burys the lede in its coverage of new Hunger Games casting. Yes, Ross and his team have wisely gone with relative unknowns for some important roles (Glimmer, Thresh, Rue), but Elizabeth Banks as Effie Trinket? Note-perfect. Unfortunately, fan fave idea Hugh Laurie as Haymitch (I still think he's too old--Haymitch is in his late 30s or early 40s) seems off the table since he's lined up a film gig in New Zealand while House is on hiatus.

8 comments:

  1. Age be damned -- I want to see Nick Nolte as Haymitch!

    ReplyDelete
  2. isaac_spaceman4:44 PM

    Anne Hathaway NPH

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aimee5:20 PM

    I think Elizabeth Banks will be great as Effie.  I'm still pulling for RDJ as Haymitch.

    ReplyDelete
  4. slowlylu5:59 PM

    I think they'll end up going English for Haymitch. Someone like McAvoy, McEwan, or even Roth.

    ReplyDelete
  5. isaac_spaceman6:29 PM

    Shouldn't the person who plays Haymitch have the same accent as the people who play Katniss, Peeta, Gale, and Prim?  I think you're just holding out for an English accent because it's closer to Australian.

    ReplyDelete
  6. slowlylu6:44 PM

    Funny, but I wasn't suggesting that accent was important, I was arguing that the depth of 30-40 year old men who can play drunk argumentative sots was deeper in England than in the US. All those actors have demonstrated an ability to be flexible in accent and have a certain cragginess which the role requires.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Maret8:11 PM

    A colleague suggested Jorge Garcia for Haymitch. I like it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Joseph J. Finn8:24 PM

    How about Mark Addy?

    ReplyDelete