Thursday, October 20, 2011

AN 'H' AND TWO 'D'S, AND ISN'T A SEVEN-LETTER WORLD FOR ANYTHING: Today was not a good day for Colonels, whether it's the tyrant who looked much more studly and un-Jeffrey-Ross-like in 1970 and died today without having avenged Emmett "Doc" Brown's theft of his plutonium in 1985, or the one with wee, beady eyes from Kentucky, who counterbalanced all the positive publicity this week from adding bacon to his Famous Bowls by the actions of his branch in West Sussex, England, which declined to honor a reservation request from John Travolta because KFC doesn't take reservations. (What, did he want a table overlooking the kitchen?) Back to that ordinary citizen who relies on the Times crossword for stimulation:



6 comments:

  1. Jordan5:50 PM

    See, I look at it the other way: whenever I hear something about the Famous Bowl, all I can think about is a failure pile in a sadness bowl.  It just got sadder.  Thanks Patton.  And how far removed from normal society do you have to be to try to reserve a table at a fast food restaurant?  Good for them for not putting up with it, whether they thought it was serious or not.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This clip was the first thing I thought of when I heard the news this morning. I watched it on youtube during lunch.

    I miss Sorkin on my TV.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Pathetic Earthling3:23 AM

    I'd forgotten what bothers me about that West Wing scene: Exocets are (a) French and (b) anti-ship missiles.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Me too...to both of those.  Although if he gives us another Studio 60...well then I don't wanna know him.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jordan10:38 AM

    If you want to get technical about it, he didn't say who he recommended it to.  But yeah, should have said navy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mr. Cosmo1:47 PM

    TPE -- there's another head-scratcher in the pilot.  When asked to turn off his cell phone, Toby announces that they are flying in an "L-1011 Eagle Series, which rolled off the line 20 months ago."  Given that Lockhead stopped production of the L-1011 in 1983, this neatly established the timeline of the West Wing universe as . . . no later than 1985.

    ReplyDelete